The Latest Drink Trend is the Boba Milk Tea! Squishy, Super Chewy Boba Pearls!
Since my previous article about Cheese Tea which drew attention from our local newspaper, The Star2 (link here) and not long after the Cheese Tea trend, now it comes the era of Boba Pearl Milk drink. Boba simply stands for pearls that are made with dark brown sugar and what makes it differ than the regular pearls is that they are much chewier and the sweetness kicks from the dark brown sugar make them really addictive! And guys, here is how you can make your own boba pearls at home! Super super easy! (How about colorful and fruity boba pearls? Even much easier to make!)
Lead Time : 90 minutes
You make boba pearls sufficient for 10 cup of drinks
Ingredients – Boba Pearls
**please note the measurement of ingredients are in ratio portioning, you can use smaller cup/measurement to yield lesser boba pearls
- 1 cup of Boiling Water
- 1 cup of Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 & 1/2 cup of Tapioca Starch
Procedure – Raw Boba Pearls
- With a clean pot, add boiling water and dark brown sugar in.
- Melt the dark brown sugar by stirring the mixture.
- Once it is melted, add tapioca starch and mix it until there is no more lump.
- Then over a low heat, cook the mixture. Continuously stir it with a spatula to prevent bottom from stick and burn.
- Cook until the mixture all stick together forming sort of like a dough.
- Transfer the dough onto a clean working surface and scrap all the sticky bits on the pot and spatula.
- The dough would be quite warm but still workable with your hands. Knead the dough as you fold it those tiny bits.
- Knead until the dough is smooth.
- Thoroughly roll the into an elongated shape.
- Cut it into a few pieces. Cover them with a damp cloth.
- Take a piece of dough and roll it into 1cm diameter.
- Then cut it into 1cm in length.
- Roll them between your palms into round shape and you have raw boba pearls
- Generously sprinkle tapioca starch into a clean container, transfer all the raw boba pearls into the container and coat the boba pearls with tapioca starch.
- Repeat step (11) to step (14) until all the dough pieces is done.
Procedure – Cooking the Boba Pearls
- Bring a pot of 4 liters water to a boil.
- Add raw boba pearls into boiling water and bring it back to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, transfer the cooked boba pearls into an ice water.
Ingredients – Braising the Boba Pearls
- 4 cups of Boiling Water
- 1 & 1/2 cups of Dark Brown Sugar
- In a pot, add boiling water and dark brown sugar. Bring to a boil and stir occasionally to prevent bottom from sticking and burn.
- As it is being boiled add all the cooked boba pearls into the sugar mixture.
- Once its reached a full boil, reduce to a simmer and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Then remove from heat and let it chill for 10 – 20 minutes.
- Serve with your preferred drinks.