Pan Mee, Ban Mian or Mee Hoon Kueh? 板面或面粉粿?
An authenthic Malaysian Chinese Hakka noodle, also locally known as Mee Hoon Kueh, literally translated as flat flour noodle. Similar egg noodle dish are also popular in China, Taiwan and Singapore. Really love this noodle when I was a kid, and here it is today, to share with you lovely people how this amazing noodle is made, from sketch!
Ingredients – For the broth
– 200g of salt-preserved Chinese kohlrabi
– 20g of dried anchovies
– 5 liters of water
– 1/2 tbsp of salt
To make the broth
- Rinse the salt off the “salt-preserved Chinese kohlrabi” with water.
- Put the “salt-preserved Chinese kohlrabi” and dried anchovies into a soup pot.
- Add 5 liters of water.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Let it simmer for 1 hour.
- Only season with salt when it is done.
Ingredients – The rest of the part
– 2 portion of egg noodle (learn how to make egg noodle here)
– 20g of dried anchovies
– 100g of minced meat
– 1 tbsp of soy sauce
– 1/2 tsp of salt
– 1 tsp of sugar
– 4 cloves of garlic
– 15g of dried wood ear fungus
– 200g of baby spinach
– 3 tbsp of cooking oil
- For the dried wood ear, soak them into a bowl of water and soak for approximately 30 minutes.
- Once the wood ear have soften and expanded in size, use a scissors and cut the stem off, which is the hard part of the wood ear.
- Fold the wood ear into a size where your hand could grab hold of, then slice the wood ear into julienne and set aside.
- For the baby spinach, pluck the leaf part from the stem.
- Wash and rinse them with clean water twice. Strain and set aside.
- Peel garlic, crush and chop.
- Prepare the other ingredients accordingly.
- Preheat cooking pan/wok with cooking oil.
- Shallow fry the dried anchovies with low heat.
- Strain the fried anchovies and set aside while leaving the oil in the pan.
- At medium low heat, add chopped garlic into the pan and fry to golden.
- Add minced meat and thoroughly fry it.
- Add soy sauce, salt and sugar and fry the minced meat until dark brown color. Transfer to a bowl/container and set aside.
- Bring 3 liters of water to boil and blanch wood ear fungus for 30 seconds.
- Strain blanched wood ear fungus and set aside.
- Then with the same boiling water, blanch the egg noodle for 30 seconds.
- Strain the noodles and plate.
- With a bowl, place the baby spinach leaves in.
- Place the blanched egg noodle onto the spinach leaves leaving some at the side of the bowl.
- Add broth in.
- Topped with generous amount of minced meat, blanched wood ear fungus and fried anchovies.
- Serve it hot!