Malaysian Chili Pan Mee with a Twist!
Chili Pan Mee has gain popularity over the years. The most important ingredients for a bowl of delicious Chili Pan Mee lies in the minced meat, poach egg and the chili. There is plenty of notable places in Kuala Lumpur who serve a decent bowl of Chili Pan Mee. However, I personally think the presentation is a little boring. So in this recipe, I am not only giving you good detail recipe to make yourself a delicious Chili Pan Mee, but also I am incorporating some, I believe, innovative ideas of how to present this stunning dish! (Also do check out the Soup Pan Mee here)
- 2 portion of egg noodle (learn how to make egg noodle here)
- 20g of dried anchovies
- 100g of minced meat
- 3 tbsp of cooking oil
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 nos of Eggs
- 2 tbsp of X.O. Chili Shrimp (recipe here)
- 200g of baby spinach
- Thick Soy Sauce for garnishing
- Lark to toss the egg noodle (or Olive oil, bacon fats, etc)
- For the baby spinach, pluck the leaf part from the stem.
- Wash and rinse them with clean water twice. Strain and set aside.
- Peel garlic, crush and chop.
- For the eggs, poach the eggs for 5 minutes. Otherwise, prepare a bowl and layer a huge piece of food grade cling wrap. Apply a teaspoon of cooking oil and grease the surface of the cling wrap. Crack the eggs and put them in. Wrap them up with cling wrap, remove as much air bubbles as possible and tie a knot.
- Prepare the other ingredients accordingly.
- Preheat cooking pan/wok with cooking oil.
- Shallow fry the dried anchovies with low heat.
- Strain the fried anchovies and set aside while leaving the oil in the pan.
- At medium low heat, add chopped garlic into the pan and fry to golden.
- Add minced meat and thoroughly fry it.
- Add soy sauce, salt and sugar and fry the minced meat until dark brown color. Transfer to a bowl/container and set aside.
- Bring 3 liters of water to boil and then reduce to simmer. Put the wrapped eggs into the simmering water and poach for 5 minutes.
- Remove from hot water and set aside.
- Bring 2 liters of water to boil and thoroughly rinse the baby spinach.
- Then with the same boiling water, blanch 1 portion of egg noodle for 30 seconds.
- Strain the noodles and mix the noodles with a tablespoon of lark and a teaspoon of soy sauce.
- Prepare a clean plate.
- Place baby spinach at the bottom as a base layer.
- Gently twist the egg noodles and place on top of the baby spinach.
- Follow by 2 tablespoon of minced meat.
- Then the poach eggs, cut the cling wrap and gently place the poach egg on top of the minced meat.
- Gently place 2 tablespoon of X.O. Chili Shrimp over the poach egg.
- Drizzle some thick soy sauce over and in a heap.