Sichuanese Eggplant is the Best Simple Side Dish
One of the usage of the Sichuan Yu Xiang sauce is the Yu Xiang Qie Zi, literally means fish flavored eggplant. An excellent addition to your family dinner as the braised eggplant absorb all the goodness of the Yu Xiang flavor!
| Serve 2 | Difficulty Easy | Prep. Time 10 Min | Cooking Time 20 Min | Total Time 30 Min |
400g of eggplant
50g of salted fish
2 tbsp of Sichuan Yu Xiang Sauce (Learn how to cook this sauce here)
2 tbsp of cooking oil
800ml of water
chopped spring onion for garnish
- Clean the eggplant with clean water.
- Cut the eggplant’s head and the end part away.
- Cut eggplant horizontally into 4 pieces and then cut vertically about 3 inches in length.
- Soak the eggplant in a bowl of water.
- Cut salted fish into cubes and set aside.
- Prepare the other ingredients.
- Preheat pan with cooking oil.
- Add salted fish into the pan and pan-fry at low heat to aromatic fragrance.
- Add Sichuan Yu Xiang Sauce and stir-fry at medium heat.
- Add water into the pan and switch to high heat.
- Bring to a boil and let it boil as you reduce at high heat.
- Reduce until its begin thickened, check the eggplant and see if it is soft enough.
- If it is not soft enough, add another 200ml of water and reduce to thicken, then check the softness.
- When it is soft enough, remove from heat and serve.
- Pan-frying salted fish gives it extra aromatic fragrance. However, salted fish tend to burn easily, so always fry them at low temperature.
- Eggplant are easily oxidize, becoming black, so to prevent this, simply soak them in a bowl of water.
I am sorry that this post was not helpful for you!
Help me improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?