Vietnamese Beef Noodle
Pho is a Vietnamese soup, cooked with herbs and meat, usually beef and sometimes chicken, topped with fresh herbs, scallion and bean sprout. I created this recipe out of the blue by request from a good friend of mine who loves Vietnamese food! Here is how you can cook pho when you are abroad!
Lead Time : 3 hours
Ingredients – Broth
- 500g of Beef Brisket
- 500g of Flank Steak
- 2 pcs of Chicken Carcasses
- 1 stick of Cinnamon
- 6 pcs of Star Anise
- 1 cup of Shallot
- 2 inches chunk of Ginger (Crushed)
- 1/2 tsp of Five Spice Powder (or 1/2 tsp of Cardamon Pod)
- 1 tbsp of Rock Sugar
- Fish Sauce to taste
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
- 8 liters of Water
Procedure – Broth
- Cut beef brisket into 1/2 inches in length and set aside.
- Cut flank steak into half and thinly slice half of it while leaving the other half for the broth.
- Prepare a large pot and fill it with 8 liters of water. Bring to a boil.
- As the water are heating up, add beef brisket, whole chunk of flank steak, chicken carcasses, cinnamon stick, star anise, shallots, ginger and five spice powder.
- Add rock sugar and lightly season with fish sauce and salt.
- As it is heating up, continuously skimming away any foam that shows up.
- Once it reached boiling point, reduce to a simmer and keep covered for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, remove chicken carcass and discard. Transfer beef brisket and chunk of flank steak to another container.
- Give the broth a taste and season with fish sauce, salt and sugar to your personal preference.
Serving – Topping
- Rice Noodle or Flat Rice Noodle
- Thai Basil Leaves (if not accessible in your region, try with any local basil)
- Chopped spring onion/scallion
- Chopped Coriander
- Bean Sprout
- Prepare a bowl of rice noodle.
- Slice the chunk of flank steak and add a few pieces on top of the rice noodle.
- Also add beef brisket and raw slices of flank steak on top of the rice noodle.
- Pour in hot broth, the broth should cook the raw flank steak.
- Top it up with chopped coriander, chopped spring onion, bean sprout and thai basil.
- Serve with condiments.