Best Red Braised Beef Noodle
Red Braised Beef Noodle is Taiwanese dish created during the civil war era in the Kaohsiung area. There is variety of beef noodle around the world and here are some of the well known beef noodle – clear soup beef noodle, beef brisket beef noodle (check the recipe here), Vietnamese Pho (recipe here), red braised beef noodle, tomato beef noodle and I believe there is plenty more variation that I have not come across. Anyhow, here is my take to the Taiwanese Red Braised Beef Noodle!
Lead Time : 90 minutes
- 500 g of Beef Chuck
- 1 cup of Red Carrot
- 1 cup of Radish
- 2 tbsp of Bean Paste (Dou Ban Sauce or Taucu)
- 3 tbsp of Tomato Sauce (options – Ketchup or Tomato Paste)
- 1 stick of Cinnamon
- 2 pcs of Star Anise
- 2 pcs of Bay Leaf
- 1/2 tsp of Clove
- 1/2 tsp of Five Spice Powder
- 1 chunk of Ginger
- 2 liters of Water
- 5 tbsp of Soy Sauce
- 3 tbsp of Cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
- Cut beef into cubes.
- Cut red carrot and radish in to bite size.
- Clean and roughly cut ginger with skin on.
- Preheat stock pot with cooking oil.
- Add beef cubes and sear to brown.
- Switch heat to medium and add cut ginger and fry to aromatic.
- Add cinnamon stick, clove, star anise, bay leaf and five spice powder in and lightly toss it.
- Add tomato sauce and bean paste and thoroughly fry it.
- Add soy sauce and then switch heat to high.
- Add water.
- Add red carrot and radish. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 60 minutes.
- After 60 minutes, taste the broth and season with salt and sugar to your personal preferences.
- Serve with hand pulled noodles and chopped scallion over it.