Taiwanese Braised Pork Rice Recipe
Taiwan Lu Rou Fan is a very well known dish, definitely you have heard of it even before you have visited Taiwan. This dish pair extremely well with white rice due to its flavorful gravy – thick, complex and delicious! And it is not difficult to make this dish, the most important part is to make sure you had all the fresh ingredients browned so the end flavors would be super potent!
Lead Time : 90 minutes
- 1 slab of Pork Belly
- 1 tsp of Chopped Garlic
- 1 tbsp of Chopped Shallots
- 2 tbsp of Sugar
- 4 tbsp of Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp of Five Spice Powder
- 4 tbsp of Cooking Oil
- 1.5 liters of Water
- Hard Boiled Eggs (optional, up to you how many you want)
- White Rice
- For the pork belly, remove the skin and cut into thin strips.
- Using a pot, preheat with cooking oil to medium heat.
- Add pork belly strips and fry pork belly until browned.
- Add chopped shallots and fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add chopped garlic and fry until garlic begin to turn brown.
- Add sugar and caramelized sugar.
- Add soy sauce and switch heat to high.
- Add water and bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Add hard boiled eggs.
- Keep covered and let simmer for 45 – 60 minutes.
- Remove cover and if it is still too much water, switch to high heat and reduce to slightly thicken.
- Serve with white rice.