Stir fry Julienne Potatoes is a common appetizer across China. When I was first introduce to this dish, I was wondering what makes this potatoes dish so special? To my surprise, the julienne potatoes was so so crunchy and appetizing. Hence I went on to discover the secret behind this looks-simple appetizer. Watch this video below to find out how to cook yourself a Chinese appetizer!
Lead Time: 1.5 hours or more
- 400g potatoes
- 1 handful of dried chili
- 1 tbs of soy souce
- 1 tbs of black vinegar (I used Zhe Jiang Vinegar)
- 1 tsp of salt
- Wash and peel potatoes
- Cut potatoes into julienne strips
- Prepare a bowl of clean water.
- Soak julienne potatoes into water for at least 1 hour or over night.
- Wash dried chili under tap water to remove dust.
- Strain julienne potatoes and leave aside.
- Bring 1 liters of water to boil.
- Blanch julienne potatoes for about 3 minutes.
- Strain the cooked julienne potatoes and put aside.
- Pre-heat pan with cooking oil.
- Add in dried chili and toss it for aromatic.
- Add julienne potatoes into the pan.
- Add in soy sauce, black vinegar and salt to season.
- Stir fry over high heat while mixing all the seasoning well.
- Remove potatoes to a plate and serve.
- The purpose of soaking potatoes in water is to remove the starch from the potatoes’ fiber. The longer the potatoes are soak, the more starch are remove. Hence the more starch are removed, the crunchier they are.