I always love a good plate of stir-fried shredded potato whenever I visit a restaurant in China, back then before I had the chance to visit China, I never knew potato can be made in such way, still maintaining its crunchiness even after having them blanched and stir-fried. I learnt the secret to making them crunchy during my stay as a consultant in Guangzhou, China. Here I am sharing the secret to make a good stir-fry shredded potato!
Crunchy Potatoes Without Deep Frying, How?
Well, potato contains starch, starch is the component that makes them become soft after we cook them. So we will need to remove the starch from the potato, leaving only fiber in a potato and this makes them crunchy. Luckily, this is not rocket science food where you some technical equipment to make. You will simply need a bowl of water to soak the shredded potatoes to allow the starch to be released into the water.
After soaking them for a while, you will notice the water becomes murky, those are starch and that is what you want to remove.
Author have a say…
Stir fry Shredded Potatoes is a common appetizer across China. When I was first introduced to this dish, I was wondering what makes this potato dish so special? To my surprise, the shredded potatoes so so crunchy and appetizing. Hence I went on to discover the secret behind this looks-simple appetizer. Watch this video below to find out how to cook yourself a Chinese appetizer!
Source : Baidu
Stir-Fried Shredded Potato (Tu Dou Si)
- 400 g Potatoes
- 30 g Dried Chili (adjust to your preference)
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Black Vinegar (use unsweetened, like Chen Vinegar or Zhejiang Vinegar)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 4 tbsp Cooking Oil
This is a free content
I have to run Ads
- Wash, peel, and shred potatoes into thin strips.
- Soak shredded potatoes into a bowl of water for at least 1 hour or more.
- Wash dried chili under tap water to remove dust.
- Strain shredded potatoes and leave aside.
- Bring 1 liter of water to boil.
- Blanch julienne potatoes for about 2 minutes.
- Strain the blanched shredded potatoes and put aside.
- Pre-heat pan with cooking oil.
- Add in dried chili and toss it to aromatic.
- Add shredded potatoes into the pan.
- Add in soy sauce, black vinegar, and salt to season.
- Stir-fry over high heat while mixing all the seasoning well.
- The purpose of soaking potatoes in water is to remove the starch from the potatoes’ fiber. The longer the potatoes are soak, the more starch are removed. Hence the more starch is removed, the crunchier they are.