Roasting Chicken, The English Way
I was looking for inspiration on what recipe to create, and I was sitting at my dining area, it just struck upon me the oven that my mother brought long ago and left unused. I recalled this simple roasted chicken recipe and I believe this English Roasted Chicken recipe will spice up your next meal!
Lead Time: 1 hours (10 minutes preparations)
- 1 whole boneless chicken leg
- 1 head of white onion
- 2 red tomatoes
- 1 packet of 100g sweet beans
- 100g green beans
- Butterfly chicken breast (Optional) – Some prefer chicken breast, I presume.
- Cajun seasoning – 1 tsp per pound of meat
- Salt to taste
- Olive Oil – n/a
- Black pepper – grind as necessary
- Thoroughly check the chicken skin for feather and clean it.
- Season with salt and Cajun seasoning
- Keep in container and set aside.
- Peel the white onions, cut into square and keep aside.
- Clean the tomatoes with clean water and cut into bite size then keep aside.
- Peel both end of the sweet beans and keep aside.
- Clean the green beans with clean water. Cut both end and cut into about 1 inches in length then keep aside.
- Preheat oven to 230 degree Celsius.
- Meanwhile prepare a baking tray, put in the white onions, red tomatoes and green beans.
- Drizzle generously with olive oil.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Mix thoroughly with your hand.
Cooking – Boneless Whole Leg Chicken
- Put the mixture of vegetables into the oven and roast for 15 minutes at 230 degree Celsius.
- Then use a glove to remove the tray from the oven.
- Carefully place the marinated boneless chicken leg over the roasted vegetables.
- Put it back into the oven and roast for 30 minutes at 230 degrees Celsius.
- While your chicken is roasting, bring a pot of water to boil with some olive oil and salt to taste.
- Poach the sweet beans for 30 – 45 seconds and stir occasionally to ensure they are cooked evenly.
- Strain the sweet beans and soak in a cold bath to stop the cooking process.
- Once the sweet beans is chilled, strain and peel one side of the sweet beans. Keep aside in a container.
- After the chicken is done, remove from the oven with a glove.
- Remove the chicken into a container and keep aside.
- Drain the gravy from the roasted vegetables and keep the roasted vegetables aside.
- Bring the gravy to simmer and add a quarter tablespoon of yellow mustard.
- Keep stirring to dissolve the yellow mustard and check the flavor. Season with salt as necessary.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
Cooking – Butterfly Chicken Breast
- Roast the marinated butterfly chicken breast for 11 minutes at 230 degree Celsius.
- The rest of the step remain the same as above (Cooking – Boneless Whole Leg Chicken).
- Carefully place generous amount of roasted vegetables on a clean plate.
- Place the roasted chicken slanted over the roasted vegetable.
- Pour a spoonful or two of the gravy on the roasted chicken.
- Garnish with peeled sweet beans.
- Meats marinated using salt does have a very low water absorption properties similar to brining process.
- An alternative method of keeping the meat dry is to use fats. Types of fats to be use depends on the type of meat and important, the result that you yearn.
- However, I uses water because I prefer to keep it as low fat as possible, hence I make use of the absorption properties causes by the salt.