Making Mantou at home is much simpler than you could ever imagine
Previously I posted a video of homemade mantou in China and some of you requested me to make one video of how to make mantou. Most commercially produce mantou in the supermarket are made with self raising flour and baking soda – they usually stick to your teeth when you take a bite. Hence the best thing about homemade mantou is they doesn’t stick to your teeth and the flavor is much more richer! You asked, here it is!
- 2 cups of All Purpose Flour
- 1 cups of Fresh Milk (optional water)
- 1 tsp of Quick-Raise Yeast
- 2 tbsp of Sugar
- 1/3 tsp of Salt
- 2 tbsp of Oil
- Parchment paper (4″ x 3″ with both side folded) or large tart paper cup
- Lightly reheat milk to lukewarm and add yeast, sugar and salt. Mix well and set aside for 10 minutes or until the yeast has activated.
- In a mixing bowl, add all purpose flour, milk mixture and oil.
- If your have a mixer, simply use the dough function and mix it until they come together as a dough.
- Otherwise, begin mixing them with your hands or a fork.
- When the flour has absorbed all the liquid, begin kneading.
- Knead for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- If the dough is too wet, add more flour, or if it is too dry, add more milk.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth or a cling film.
- Let the dough proof in a warm area for 45 – 60 minutes or until it double in size.
- Once proofing is done, flour your working surface with all purpose flour.
- Transfer dough onto the floured surface.
- Use a rolling pin or simply just your palms to gently flatten the dough into a square or a rectangular sheets of about 0.5 cm thick.
- Roll the sheets into a rolls and then roll it into an even longer rolls.
- Cut dough into a few pieces, the size of a mantou. About 2 inches width.
- Gently pull it to shape it into mantou shape.
- Transfer them individually onto parchment paper or tart paper cup.
- Proof them in an enclose warm area for 45 – 60 minutes. If you have an oven, simply proof them in the oven with the light bulb turn on and a bowl of hot water.
- Steam them for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Serve hot!