The Hakka Mei Cai Kou Rou is Super Easy to Make
Following the ZheJiang style of stewing it, this Hakka Mei Cai Kou Rou is one of the Hakka people signature dish. It is steamed which results in a gravy-rich bowl of pork belly goodness! This recipe will not fail you! (Also check out the ZheJiang Mei Cai Men Rou)
Lead Time – 120 minutes
- 400g of pork belly with skin
- 200g of Chinese preserved mustard
- 3 tbsp of sugar
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 tbsp of shao xing wine
- 1 tsp of thick soy sauce
- Julienne spring onion to garnish
- For the pork belly, blanch whole slab of pork belly for 10 minutes. Transfer to cold bath and sear.
- To sear pork belly, preheat cooking oil in pan. Turn off heat and add blanched pork belly in. Sear pork belly at medium heat and use the pan cover to protect yourself from popping hot oil. Sear all side. Once you have crispy edges, turn off heat and transfer pork belly to container.
- To cut pork belly, cut pork belly into approximately 3 inches (H) x 4 inches (W) x 1/2 inches (T).
- For the Chinese preserved mustard, rinse off the salt in a bowl of water twice. Then soak in water for 2 hours or more. After soaking, remove from water and cut into uniform sizes.
- Mix sugar, soy sauce, shao xing wine and thick soy sauce. Dissolve the sugar and then mix evenly with pork belly.
- Prepare a bowl with depth of 4 inches or more.
- Begin placing pork belly, skin side down, piece by piece into the bowl.
- Once you have them neatly place in the bowl, cover the pork belly with Chinese Preserved Mustard.
- Then in a heap, pour in all the marinate.
- Use your hand and press downwards to squeeze in any gap/fillings.
- To steam, make sure the water is at full boil.
- Steam pork belly for 90 minutes.
- Turn off heat and remove pork belly from steamer.
- Pour the gravy into another container while using a spoon to prevent any Chinese Preserved Mustard from falling out.
- To remove the pork belly from the hot bowl, place a piece of cloth underneath the hot bowl, then place your serving plate (use a deep curve plate) to cover the bowl.
- Flip over so now the plate in below while the hot bowl is on top.
- Gently remove the hot bowl upwards leaving the steamed pork belly and preserved mustard on the plate.
- Pour generous amount of gravy over the pork belly.
- Garnish with julienne spring onion and serve!