Brown Gravy Hainanese Chicken Chop is the Ultimate Comfort Food
Though it is well known in Malaysia as Hainanese Chicken Chop, this dish wasn’t originated from China. In fact, it was created by Hainan people that migrated to Malaysia. When I was a kid, my parents often would bring us to the infamous Yut Kee Restaurant for their Hainanese Chicken Chop. Huge piece of fried chicken served with generous amount of brown sauce and some wedges. Here is my recipe simple enough for you to do it yourself at home too!
Lead Time : 75 minutes
Ingredients – Brown Gravy
This brown gravy recipe is sufficient for 3 pieces of boneless whole chicken leg
- 5tbsp of Brown Stock Powder (any brand would do – brown stock, brown sauce powder, etc)
- 2 whole Tomato
- 200g of Potato
- 2 head of Red Onion
- 1 cup of Green Peas
- 1 pcs of Bay Leaf (Optional)
- 1000ml of Water
- 1/2 tsp of Salt (to taste)
- 2 tsp of Sugar (to taste)
- 3 tbsp of Cooking Oil
- Clean potato with tap water and cut into obliques.
- Clean tomato and roughly chop tomato into obliques.
- Peel and slice red onion.
- Preheat stock pot with cooking oil.
- Add sliced red onion and fry to aromatic.
- Add water.
- Add brown stock powder and dissolve it with a whisk or spatula.
- Add chopped tomato, potato, green peas and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Season gravy with salt and sugar.
- Set aside the gravy.
Ingredients – Fried Chicken
- 1 pcs of Boneless Whole Chicken Leg
- 1/2 tsp of Salt
- 1 tsp of Sugar
- 1 nos of Egg
- 1 tbsp of Water
- 1 tbsp of Cooking Oil
- Pre-Mix Fry Chicken Powder to coat chicken (any preferred brands will do)
- Cooking Oil for frying
- With a mixing bowl, add salt, sugar, water, cooking oil and egg. Mix together to dissolve salt and sugar.
- Add boneless chicken into marinate and marinate for 30 minutes or more.
- Put generous amount of pre-mix fry chicken powder into a tray.
- Bring the marinated chicken into the tray and coat marinated chicken with pre-mix fry chicken powder to a dry coating.
- To deep fry chicken, preheat cooking oil to high heat.
- Put the coated chicken into the oil with skin side down.
- Once the outer layer of the chicken begin to crisp, lower the heat to medium low.
- Fry to 6 – 8 minutes.
- Check doneness of the chicken by poking through it. As long it goes through smoothly and there is no blood flowing out, then it is cooked through.
- Place generous amount of vegetables from the gravy on the side of the plate.
- Gently place fried chicken on the center of the plate, slightly slanted over the vegetables.
- Pour generous amount of brown gravy over the chicken and serve.