Making Scallion Pancake at Home is as easy as 1 2 3
I was thinking of some fun recipe to make, something that brings memories from traveling and since I am at a place where I am unfamiliar with, so I thought of why not make some of their local delicacy and Scallion Pancake come across my mind. As the first time I went overseas when I was a kid with my family, was to Hangzhou and we sat by the roadside drinking hot soy milk and munching on some scallion pancake. So here it is guys, Scallion Pancake from my childhood memories.
Lead Time : 120 minutes
Ingredients – to make the dough
- 2 cups of All Purpose Flour (medium strength gluten)
- 1 cups of Warm Water (2/3 Room Temperature : 1/3 Hot Water)
- 1/2 tsp of Salt
- 1 tbsp of Cooking Oil
- All Purpose Flour to flour the dough and working table.
- Into a large mixing bowl, add all purpose flour and salt in.
- Then mix with a fork and add warm water in a little at a time. Mix until the dough begin to stick.
- If the dough is too moisture, add a little flour and knead or if it is too dry, add a little more warm and knead.
- Add cooking oil into dough and knead with your hands. Knead until the oil has folded into the dough.
- Then apply a layer of oil on the outer layer of the dough and keep the dough covered with cling wrap or a damp cloth.
- Let rest for 60 minutes.
Ingredients – Fillings
- Chopped Scallion
- Five Spice Powder
- Cooking Oil
- After 60 minutes, lightly flour your working table and transfer your dough onto the flour.
- Gently roll your dough into elongated shape and cut into 6 pieces.
- Lightly flour the dough and use your palm to thoroughly flatten the dough.
- Then use a rolling pin and roll the dough to thin sheet.
- Sprinkle salt and five spice powder on the dough sheet and spread them out with your hand.
- Then add a tbsp of cooking oil and spread it.
- Then sprinkle chopped scallion in a heap.
- Begin rolling the dough sheet from one corner to another corner. As you roll the dough, try to remove air pockets.
- Once you had rolled into elongated shape, lightly rolling to again to lengthen it.
- Then twist the elongated dough by pushing one end and pulling the other end.
- Then twist in the dough to form a neat spiral with the end tip fold to the bottom.
- Leave the dough to rest as you work on the other dough.
- Lightly oil the surface of the spiral dough and flatten it with your palm.
- Then use the rolling pin to roll it into a round thin sheet.
- Preheat pan to medium heat with cooking oil, transfer rolled dough into pan.
- Pan fry both side until golden and crispy.
- Serve hot!