The Ultimate Pork Knuckle Recipe in Best Spiced Broth!
Often when I had pork braised in pork broth, I am always unsatisfied with the pork flavor. I always thought that the flavor of the broth never really penetrate into the meat of the pork, no matter how good the broth is. When I was pondering upon this, I come to thought why don’t I try this technique that was thought to me by a Guangzhou’s chef – Chef Ming. I tried it and it works! The flavor penetrate into the meat really well and here it is, I am sharing it with you guys!
| Serve 4 | Difficulty Medium | Prep. Time 15 Min | Cooking Time 105 Min | Total Time 120 Min |
600g of Pork Knuckle (Chopped)
5 bulb of Garlic (Roasted or Regular)
2 bulb of Red Onion
2 pcs of Star Anise
1 tbsp of Peppercorn
1 tsp of Crushed Black Pepper
2 pcs of Bay Leaf
3 tbsp of Soy Sauce
3 tbsp of Fish Sauce
1 tbsp of Sugar
1 tsp of Salt
1 tbsp of Thick Soy Sauce
Cooking oil for pan frying
2 liters of Water
- Clean and rinse chopped pork knuckle. Strain and set aside.
- Peel onion and cut into halves.
- Cut garlic into halves.
- Prepare the other ingredients
- Preheat a stock pot with cooking oil, with low heat, pan fry red onion and garlic to brown. Set aside browned red onion and garlic.
- Add cooking oil to stock pot. With low heat, add crushed black pepper, peppercorn, star anise and bay leaf. Toss them to aromatic fragrance.
- Add browned red onion and garlic into pot and thoroughly stir them.
- Switch to high heat and add soy sauce.
- Add water to deglaze. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Skim away all the foam.
- Keep covered and simmer for 90 minutes.
- After 90 minutes, season broth with fish sauce, sugar, salt and thick soy sauce.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Then keep in refrigerator overnight.
- Reheat the next day before serving.
- Flavor penetration intensify when the meat are left in the broth overnight. This way, the meat would not become too soft.
- The broth can be kept and reuse to cook the next batch of pork knuckle or meat. Keep broth in freezer.
I am sorry that this post was not helpful for you!
Help me improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?